Modifications Of Custody And Support

Divorce decrees, court orders and child support, alimony and child custody arrangements must be obeyed. But they may be altered by petitioning the court for a modification.

Modifications are not to be entered into lightly. But when life circumstances change, it makes sense to seek modification. To ignore the court's wishes can be dangerous and expensive.

When Is A Modification Appropriate?

At Michael N. Splivalo, Attorney at Law, we have assisted hundreds of families in returning to the court and asking for changes in basic agreements. There are many justifications for modifications:

  • A significant change in income, either an increase or a decrease
  • Change in the costs associated with visitation
  • Relocation to another state

In making its determination, the court will consider many factors, most especially the best interests of the child. Whether you are seeking or opposing a custody modification, it's important that your interests are also protected.

Effective Madera Support Enforcement Lawyer

Sometimes modifications aren't enough, such as when one parent refuses to provide support or exhibits behavior that is illegal or endangers the child. In this case, our firm will press for enforcement of the existing decree or even the termination of parental rights.

Do you need a change in your divorce or custody agreement? Call Fresno custody modification lawyer Michael Splivalo in Fresno, California, at 866-425-4971 or write to us using this email form.